UPDATED: Workaround for multiple broken/missing features (Mail, Cortana, Narrator, Inking)
Issue: After upgrading from Build 16299.0 to 16299.15, you might lose all previously installed Feature-on-Demand (FOD) packages such as Windows Media Player, language features, etc. during the upgrade. If you upgraded to Build 16299.15 from an older build such as Build 16296 – you are not impacted.
This issue occurs due to a bug in our servicing stack where the FOD packages are incorrectly “dead-ended”. When this happens, setup removes these “dead-ended” FODs during upgrade. By losing these FOD packages, you might experience a range of issues such as your email not syncing in the Mail app, different elements of UI not appearing in Settings or apps like Mail, font disappearing, Cortana not working correctly and the loss of Windows Media Player.
To get out of this state: You will have to manually reinstall your missing FOD packages. There may be some cases where some missing FODs are automatically reinstalled, such as those tied to the languages associated with your profile. Other features may require command line operations to install.
If all your email accounts stopped syncing new emails or you are unable to add a new email account: One of the main components for email functionality is also a FOD (Feature-on-Demand)
The component needs to be reinstalled via command prompt, using these steps:
- At Start, type ‘command prompt’, a Best Match will be Command Prompt app. Right-click on the Command Prompt app, select ‘Run as administrator’.
- Select ‘Yes’ to allow the app to make changes to your device
- At the command prompt enter the following: dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0
- Press Enter. The reinstall will start progress. If you aren’t seeing progress, you can press Enter again.
- Once the reinstall is complete, you will be prompted to restart your device. If not prompted, you will need to restart the device yourself.
- After restarting, confirm your account is syncing correctly in Mail app. If the account does not appear to be syncing correctly, check try the following:
- In the Mail app: Settings -> Manage Accounts -> Select the account. If the Account settings dialog is available, the component was successfully reinstalled.
- If the account is still not syncing, delete and re-add the account again in the Mail app: Settings -> Manage Accounts -> Select the account -> Select ‘Delete account from this device’ -> Click ‘Delete’. Once the account is removed, select ‘Add Account’ to re-add it.
If Cortana is blocking the start menu, or Cortana Speech is not working: Please follow these steps to fix the Cortana issue.
- Open Settings and navigate to Time & Language
- Click on Region and Language
- Click on the Windows display language and then click Options
- Under Language Options, wait for the available packages to load, and then click to install the missing packages (Speech)
- After these are installed, restart your computer and the issue will be resolved.
If input scenarios such as handwriting, swipe keyboard and touch keyboard candidates are not working:
- Launch the Settings app
- Click on Time & language
- From the links on the left hand side, click on Region & Language
- For each language shown in the list, click on it, and press on the Options button that shows up.
- In the page that shows up, press on the Download button for the Basic typing and Handwriting language options.
If you are missing Windows Media Player: You can add Windows Media Player by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features, clicking on “Manage optional features” and then “Add a feature” and select Windows Media Player to install.
Future upgrades to builds newer than Build 16299.15 shouldn’t remove the FODs that were reinstalled.